L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa

The following information is presented with the assumption that the reader is an executive or a manager employed by an active business outside the United States for at least one year in the past three years.

The basis for the L-1 Petition, calls for your company abroad to establish a branch office or a subsidiary business in the United States to which you, as an executive or manager, are being transferred. The subsidiary need not be the same business as the company abroad. For L-1 visa purposes your foreign company can be a small proprietorship or a large corporation.

Business People

If you’re married, your spouse and children less than 21 years of age can join you they will be issued L-2 visas. Your spouse can be employed in the U.S and your children can attend school in the U.S.

Your L-1 application should be processed within 30 to 60 days from time of submission to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). However, the processing time can be expedited to two weeks with payment of an additional $1,000 fee to the USCIS above standard filing fees. L-1 classification is granted for seven years. If a new U.S. based business is established the initial approval is for one (1) year with provisions for two (2) consecutive three (3) year extensions. After holding an L-1 Visa for one year, you are eligible to apply for permanent residence (Green Card) in order to do this you must show that your presence in the United States is needed permanently.

If, you’re in the United States as a visitor or other legal status, with proper documentation you can apply to change of status to L-1 and your spouse and children to L-2.

The L-1 regulations require extensive documentation to prove the existence of your foreign company and the new U.S., business. A physical address where the new business will be located is essential and must be in place at the time the L-1 application is filed with USCIS. If necessary, American Business Exchange will assist you in locating a suitable property to lease or buy.

American Business Exchange does it all including precise preparation of your L-1 filing package, if you wish we will arrange for our affiliated immigration attorney to review the L-1 filing documents and represent you before USCIS. We will also write a Business Plan for your new business along with a start-up budget. A well thought out business plan is needed for your L-1 application to be submitted properly. With American Business Exchange on your side you’ll be on the right track.

American Business Exchange is here to assist you in all aspects of L-1 qualifying process and obtaining a Green Card. Click here for a free written consultation.